Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Company Profile: Humanoid Wakeboards



The saying, “Dare to be different” is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Humanoid, one of the newest, upcoming wakeboard companies. Or possibly the phrase, “Don’t be afraid to be yourself” might be more fitting? Either way, in more ways than one, Humanoid is definitely breaking the traditional mold of other wakeboard companies to bring us some uniquely inspiring and creatively weird stuff. Humanoid’s artistic expression is especially transcendently peculiar. Zach Shapiro, one of Humanoid’s artists describes the art well with this excerpt from an interview, included below, “I love the balance between cutesy and grotesque and finding that healthy edge between the both.” Read more from Humanoid’s 'imaginartistic' duo in the included interviews graciously provided by Joel at Humanoid and check out the unique vibe at the Humanoid website.



Friends that kill it!


Zach Shapiro (Artistic Mind for the Oracle Flex)

Age: 21

Hometown: Miami, FL.


What got you started in your artistic endeavors?

I am an only child, so I used art to pass time and entertain myself at an early age. My Mom and Grandma were both artists so I luckily inherited some of their artistic genes.

What kind of equipment do you use for your works?

I use pencil and paper to sketch my ideas. I began experimenting with digital media using programs like Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. I just recently purchased a Wacom tablet so that’s been pretty fun to use. So mostly everything starts out on paper and is then scanned onto the computer, then brought to life with Illustrator.

What influences your work?

What influences me most is how I am feeling at that given time. What stage of life I am in and the environment around me. I love the balance between cutesy and grotesque and finding that healthy edge between the both. Old school comic book characters, children’s books and dreams fuel a lot of my work.

What do you like about the type of art that you do?

It’s a release for me. Being able to create is something I’ve always enjoyed doing.

What were your main inspirations that made you pursue your field of artwork?

The thriving art culture that surrounds me, I felt maybe I could get involved somehow and have some fun doing work that others may appreciate.

What advice would you give starting artists wanting to follow your field of artwork?

Get involved, draw, paint, graph as much as you can and try to get noticed and be original. In this world there is so much talent out there that it becomes intimidating to even think about. But everyone has a unique perspective that makes each person’s art so much different. So keep your hands busy.



Jacob Gardner (Artistic Mind for the Oracle Stiffy)

Age: 31

Hometown: Bloomington, IN.


What got you started in your artistic endeavors?

Boredom and school drove me to it, escapism.

What kind of equipment do you use for your works?

Stencils, paint markers, card tables, exacto blades and a lot of spray paint!

What influences your work?

Friends’ artwork, street art, and a lot of people who are in Juxtapoz Magazine.

What do you like about the type of art that you do?

The smell, the feeling it gives me

What were your main inspirations that made you pursue your field of artwork?

Life and living it, all that just comes from all around me, only fragments get through to the art.

What advice would you give starting artists wanting to follow your field of artwork? It takes guts!

Any final thoughts?

Gleam the Cube!

No comments:

Post a Comment